[time-nuts] OP-Amps for 10MHz distribution...?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Feb 28 19:02:26 UTC 2012

A lower limit to the phase noise floor of an opamp can be estimated from
its output noise and the output signal level.
Half of the output noise power contributes to PM, the other half to AM.

At low offsets modulation of internal capacitances by power supply noise
and opamp noise modulates the phase shift produced by the opamp.
Such modulation occurs even when the amplifier isnt driven into saturation.
The same PM mechanisms occur in discrete amplifiers.
Keeping the dc gain low is helpful in reducing phase noise.
This doesnt mean AC coupling is a useful solution it isnt as a high dc
gain from an input base of a BJT to its collector will produce
significant modulation of its collector base capacitance and the phase
shift of the amplifier. Shunting output load resistors with inductors
can be useful in reducing such phase modulation, merely using a
capacitor to couple the output to the next stage has no effect on close
in phase noise produced by the amplified input noise (or power supply
noise - e.g. via a bias divider).

Discrete JFETs tend to be somewhat noisier than BJTs for low impedance
sources so using a JFET input device isnt usually as effective as using
a BJT at least for 50 ohm sources.

Bruce