[time-nuts] US New Year countdown - accurate?

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Tue Jan 3 00:21:43 UTC 2012

On 1/2/2012 3:48 PM, Javier Herrero wrote:
> El 02/01/2012 23:33, Magnus Danielson escribió:
>>
>> The small TV set in the kitchen might be CRT while the big one in the
>> living room is LCD (or any similar flat screen), and for the later
>> double-buffering (or more) is employed as standard. These new screens
>> are "slow" and create tons of artefact with standard definition TV or
>> just the wrong rate.
>>
> In the transition time between analog and digital TV in Spain, I had
> an analog TV at the kitchen and a digital LCD at the living room. Both
> transmissions were from the same site, but the audio and video delay
> in the digital one with respect to the analog was in the order of two
> seconds. I suppose that part is on the TV, but the bigger delay is in
> the transmission side :) Now, analog TV is gone, so no opportunity to
> repeat the experiment.
We do not have Analog signals to check with, as in over the air here in
Orange County, Ca.  Over the air digital is available, but I have never
hooked up an antenna to try to receive it, just on cable here.

What I noticed last night was that the analog tv we have was about 5
seconds slow.  It is analog because it is hooked to the CCTV analog
channels, by way of explanation.

the digital converter, HD DVR and the analog feed all come over the same
cable, but are all different in time.  the HD DVR receiver can be ahead
or behind the analog signal, and the digital converter is usually ahead
of the analog.

I'm not familiar with the encoding or feed of each of these, but they
clearly are coming from separate buffered sources.

I used several "satellite" clocks which all were in time as my
reference, nothing as fancy as all you have online.  I lost my favorite
toy when the 468dc clocks went away, and have not gotten anything to
replace it.

Jim