[time-nuts] Thunderbolt? (re simple gpsdo.) >> capacitors

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Jan 3 17:14:56 UTC 2012

Hi

Using electrolytic caps in timing applications is a bit exciting. Their
leakage current changes each time you change the voltage on them. It's
enough of a change to significantly impact long time constants. In some
cases the capacitance changes with voltage as well.

Temperature stability of capacitance for most processes is in the 10 to 20%
change over 0 to 50C.  Leakage at least doubles every 10C.

Many ceramic bypass caps have similar TC and change in cap with voltage
issues. NPO ceramics or *good* film capacitors are the stuff you make your
analog computer out of. (Yes, I'm old enough that you had to check the
course description to see if the "computer" course was analog or digital...)

Bob