[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:49:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:44:13 -0800, Hal Murray
<hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>>
>> Have an older Tek 465 scope that is in only "fair" shape and I see nothing
>> on that pin but milivolt level sine wave of about 60MHz.  I can't set the
>> scope to show any hint of a PPS ...
>
>I do have a 465.  You should be able to see a 1 uSec PPS.

60MHz is about a 6nS rise time and is easily fast enough to see it.

>Now turn up the Intensity until you can see the pulse.  It might help to turn
>down the room lights.

This is the problem.  With a 1 second repetition rate, the brightness
is going to be very low.

The old ways of viewing such a low repetition rate signal include
using a hood or dark room, special CRT phosphors, photographic film,
MCP (micro channel plate) intensified CRTs, and of course analog
storage and later digital storage.