[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance - replacing fried chip

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Thu Jan 5 20:10:00 UTC 2012

I did something similar- momentary contact of +15V supply with one of the other pins- might have been the +5 Vin, or another signal. The 75ACT240 became very hot. I ordered a replacement 75ACT240 part, swapped it in, and the unit seems to work fine now.  Note this is the 0.3" wide device, DigiKey p/n 74ACT240SC-ND.  Confusingly, that part in 20-pin SOIC is made in two different body widths: 0.209" / 5.3 mm and 0.295" / 7.5 mm.

This photo shows the board with the smoked chip removed (U503 at upper left), before I installed the replacement
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mF9WSGlEQjA8MqHhbPOJRdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

-john