[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 20:57:38 UTC 2012

Hello Tom,

haven't tried the raw data capture yet. It would be nice if they would have
 added support for USB thumb drives to store this type of data, and plots
etc.

But it does have internal RAM, they could have allocated a Mbyte or so for
data-storage..

BTW: my unit used to reset itself all the time also. It was impossible to
get measurements longer than a couple of days. After I got many hardware
error  warnings on the screen, Symmetricom fixed it after several attempts by
replacing  the AT processor board, and updating the flash firmware... Also, I
had one flash  drive die on me as well.. I also remember a correlation to
ambient temperature,  higher temps made it crash more often.

Will look at John's Timelab asap..

Thanks,
Said

In a message dated 1/4/2012 21:46:54 Pacific Standard Time,
tvb at LeapSecond.com writes:

> I  also don't like the way the TSC shows the frequency, and the fact that

> you can only capture about 9 minutes of information for some reason.  Why
not
> show 24 hours or 48 hours of data  here?

Said,

The 9+ minutes (540+ seconds) is due to the 640  pixel display
minus the soft menu that appears on the right side.

The TSC doesn't save all the raw data from the run and thus  you
can't pan or zoom over the data like you would expect. Note there
is  no harddrive in the TSC (the CF card is just a boot filesystem).

So  there are two tricks you can use. The first is what I do, which
is to  capture all the raw phase data from the TSC, logging it on PC,
and then use  Stable32 or TimeLab to manipulate or plot as much
or as little of the data  as desired. Many of the plots on my web site
are created this way. I almost  always begin a log of raw data before
I press start on a TSC analyzer. That  way I have a permanent copy
of all the phase data, from which all other  analysis is based.

Depending on the model of TSC, the raw phase data is  delivered
by RS-232 or LAN at rates of 1 Hz, 100 Hz, or 1 kHz. For  really
long runs (days or weeks, even months) I typically use 1  Hz.

The second solution, one I would strongly recommend, is to  use
the live capture capability in TimeLab. John has built-in  support
for a number of popular counters, including the TSC. I'm  pretty
sure you can get it going in a matter of minutes; you will  never
look  back.

/tvb