[time-nuts] Thermal insulation choice?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jan 6 20:00:02 UTC 2012

In message <CABqdsz-HOHH8EhsPfM0AA6iw-AR6DLJt2UxVxqhBtQtmwyK2jA at mail.gmail.com>
, Eric Garner writes:

>I've used "Reflectix" duct insulation in applications like this. it's
>essentially bubble wrap with a reflective layer, you can layer it
>pretty easily to add/subtract from the insulation value. plus is comes
>in small, cheap rolls

Be aware that most of the (claimed!) insulation in these kind of
materials come from the radiation reflection and is contingent on
there being a huge-ish temperature difference between the two sides
*and* that the material is not in contact surfaces, certainly not
on the hot side.

Where this material really wins is under roofs, which can become 100C or
warmer, while you want to maintain 20C inside the house.

They suck if you have 20C on one side and 32C on the other.

Compared to bubble-wrap, it is unlikely to perform any different
in an application like this, because of the low temperature differences.