[time-nuts] Thermal insulation choice?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Jan 6 20:32:30 UTC 2012

On 1/6/2012 2:54 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Can you put something that uses power inside an insulated box? I'd
> think it might over heat.

Thanks, all, for the numerous and helpful responses!

To answer Chris' question, putting insulation all the way around the
oscillator might cause problems as you suggest.  I'm only planning to
put the insulation on the two surfaces that are only a couple of inches
from the OCXO (chassis bottom and one side), and maybe on the top cover.
  There will be several inches of interior space on the other sides;
enough, I hope, to smooth any thermals coming from the other exterior walls.

John