[time-nuts] Question re neutrinos and GPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 7 01:57:49 UTC 2012

> "The GPS is very unlikely to give an accurate speed for anything near the
> speed of light - for there are many known effects not taken into account by
> the  GPS protocol.  In the end the OPERA experiment may alert people to the
> assumptions and  approximations implicit in the GPS."

I can't see anything sensible in there.

The whole reason that the result of this experiment is so interesting is
because it doesn't make sense yet.

GPS has a long history of very accurate position and timing.

The first thing the early GPS experimental satellites did was verify
relativity.  It was a wonderful experiment.

Surveyors routinely get cm accuracy.  Geologists use GPS to monitor plate
motions.

National laboratories use GPS to compare their atomic clocks.  They argue
about things like the temperature coefficient of the delay in antenna cables.
 They also have to correct for the difference in elevation between the two
sites, more relativity, blue shift as light falls farther down the gravity
well.