[time-nuts] Internal 5 volt switching regulator on some "non-programmable" FE-5680A's

Clint Turner turner at ussc.com
Sun Jan 8 21:51:33 UTC 2012

Hello,

After posting a few days ago about one of my '5680A's having the voltage
converter installed - but not connected - I've done a bit of
reverse-engineering and sleuthing around and (probably) have a fairly
complete picture of what it would take to populate that section of the
board.  That information may be found here:

http://ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html

This page is a work in progress, using my LPRO-101 page as a template
and unashamedly stealing a good chunk of its content - most of which is
directly applicable, anyway!

Note that I haven't done the board population myself and there *may* be
additional jumpers that need to be added/removed - or, as I suggest, one
could avoid that problem and simply connect to known V+ and +5 volt
points instead.

If you happen to have one of those boards with the installed (but not
connected) regulator, information is also included on which two jumpers
I needed to add to enable it:  Again, YMMV, DNTHFB, etc...

If anyone populates their own board, please let me know how it worked out.

I add this mostly out of interest expressed by a few others that emailed
me.  It's no doubt far easier/cheaper to simply add an outboard 7805 (or
switching converter) than populate the board, but hey, why not?

73,

Clint
KA7OEI