[time-nuts] Trimble GPS antenna preamp, anyone know the gain?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 18:59:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:
> With that amount of gain, I would assume they don't have to be low noise,
> though they could be. That is, I assume they are designed for use with an
> amplified antenna. [The noise margin should be set by the antenna preamp,
> not an amp down stream.]
>
> But then again, they would have to pass DC to the actual amplified antenna,
> as well as work as a 10dB amp.

I pulled the cover plate off and looked.  It is very simple inside.
The DC is from the receiver is blocked by a cap and there is an
inducter to take DC off the line.    The amp looks to be maybe some
kind of op-amp that drives a single transistor.   I can't read the
part numbers on any of the active components.

We know it is a line extender so the 10dB guess is reasonable

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California