[time-nuts] Temperature and signal amp for 'Bay FE-5680A?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 11 09:59:24 UTC 2012

bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz said:
> That approach doesn't do anything for the Vcc and GND bounce exhibited  by
> the driver chip. GND and Vcc bounce is the cause of the high frequency
> ringing exhibited  by the TADD-3 outputs. This ringing can even be observed
> at the outputs of inverters whose inputs are tied low or high in the same
> package

I don't see how ground bounce is going to cause ringing.

I'd expect the ringing to come from reflections from a long transmissions
line.

Anybody know what the driver in a TBolt is like?  Here are 2 pictures looking
at the PPS from 2 TBolts.

This one has 10 ft of coax from one TBolt and and 25+10 ft from the other,
with no termination at the scope.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/Rigol/ring-1.png

This one has 10 ft of coax with a terminator on one side and a 10X scope
probe right at the BNC on the other.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/Rigol/ring-2.png

> Damping the crossover current induced transient in the supply leads
> (bondwire and lead frame) inductance is one way to minimise this. A small
> resistor in series with the Vcc pin often works well, the  resistor value
> being chosen for near critical damping.

I'm not sure what you mean by crossover current.

I'd expect a "damping" resistor in the Vcc lead to slow down the rise time.
If you make it slow enough there won't be any ringing because the rise time
will be longer than the round trip time.  Then you can treat the transmission
line as a capacitor.

I'd expect a resistor in the Vcc lead would not slow down the fall times.

If you want a slower rise time, you can also use HC rather than AC.  They
probably aren't strong enough to drive a 50 ohm terminator.

Using surface mount packages reduces the inductance.  (slightly?)

Another option is the bus driver chips that have multiple Vcc/GND pins.

> Another problem with the TADD-3 is the sharing of a driver chip by
> different input frequencies which leads to intermodulation between the 2
> outputs.

Yup.  Job security for designers.  :)

If you read the fine print in the data sheets for high speed chips, they
usually specify a marketing number with only one output changing.  The good
data sheets tell you how much it slows down when multiple outputs change.