[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Jan 12 11:42:53 UTC 2012

I think we really need a FAQ, particularly for the 5680A. Maybe Didier
would provide a place. (Or is it already there?)

How many times, just in the last month or so, have the same questions
been thrashed over and over again?

- Pinouts - versions - reverse engineering wheel reinvention
- Voltages, currents
- They aren't rivets, they are screws. Someone just mentioned torx, but
I think they were hex.
- Heat sink. (My consensus -- a heat sink makes sense for more than one
reason.)
- Enclosure, mounting, insulation.
- Programming and capabilities vs. age, configuration.
- Crypticness of FEI docs and part numbers. Unresponsiveness from FEI to
questions.
- PPS or not. Width, terminations, levels, ringing.
- Rubidium tube life, restoration.
- What is that other oscillator for?

- Performance measurements or questions. Some things are known.
Refinements beyond that are on topic.

Then the truly wasted space. I got mine, I got mine, I got mine, I used
this power supply. How long does a shipment from China take?
I know some of you are newly excited but this is getting really painful.
I hate to just delete them all because occasionally one or a few people
really do add some new knowledge or insights. I have learned new things
in that last several weeks, But recently, I have had to slash and burn
quite a few messages for time and sanity reasons.

I have been watching these 5680A bursts happen for several years, but
this latest one is particularly intense because questions get asked and
answered, but no one seems to read all of them or remember the answers,
so the same exact questions, answers and debates begin again in days.

There are so many posts now that searching the archives on this would
require a semester or so to filter out a probably somewhat trustworthy
answer.