[time-nuts] EF-5680A Breakout board

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jan 13 08:59:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:21:40 -0800
Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> futerlec can build 20 of the above PCBs for US$99, that's $5 each.
> plus shipping.  And all 20 have to ship to the same address.
> Futurlec is an Australian company but mostly run in Thailand they have
> offices in US, AU, UK and asia.   They can also stuff the boards and
> supply parts.     They are my #1 parts source but have limited range
> so I have to go to the other places for the more rare items.   Just
> for curiosity I got a price for 10,000 boards.  It drops to $1.56
> each.   $2.16 for 100.   But I'd bet 20 is the upper limit.

lol.. if you were going to make 10k, it would be worth it to let
them produce, including assembly, in far east. I guess then we
could get below 5USD/piece for fully assembled devices. :-)

But still.. if there would be enough interest in fully assembled
devices, a production run of those shouldn't be too difficult.
But assembly isn't really worth it below lot sizes 50-100 pieces
as the NRE is just too high.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin