[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sat Jan 14 09:46:24 UTC 2012

Incredible! Thanks for the tip. The Arduino has a PID controller already
written as a library function.
Don

Chris Albertson
> I've found yet another good way to get data into a computer.
> Sparkfun sells a bundle with an Arduino and a student copy of Labview
> for $50 total.   All the analog and digital pins are pulled into
> LabVIEW and then you can drag and drop the signals into processing
> blocks and connect those to graphs and plots.   It's a very painless
> way to connect a graphic object on the computer screen to a pin on a
> uP.   Labview is not a permanent solution but it's a quick way to
> experiment and build a sophisticated PID controller without writing
> any code.   Then later write it in C and burn into the Arduino.
> Using Arduino costs more but I don't have to make a PCB and you can
> buy one the $20 on eBay.   Also it would be very easy to add an
> Ethernet interface and SD card for data logging.  You might say
> Ethernet and SD cards are to complex.  But, no they plug in like a
> Lego block and don't cost much
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Peter Bell <bell.peter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I think lots of people have designed MCU based HPIB interfaces - the
>> problem is that most of them are, like mine, designed to solve a
>> specific
>> problem and there is no subsequent incentive to clean up the
>> documentation
>> to the  point where you wouldn't be embarrased to release it to the
>> public
>> - at least that's the state mine is in...

>>> Fascinating.. so basically, by spending $150 you save whatever time
>>> you'd
>>> spend buying the $50 worth of parts (which might be more by now) and
>>> assembling it.  Seems a nice way to cover both ends of the user
>>> spectrum.

>> and follow the instructions there.
>

> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road