[time-nuts] Controlling FEI 5680A

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 05:18:44 UTC 2012

Not over kill at all.   It is worth paying a few $$ not to have to
design a PCB.  Worse then that is that most will take shortcuts and
design it so that you need a sppepcial IC programmer to program the
PIC.  Thee $20 development boards allow you to download the firmware
over USB so users can do it themselves.

I'm looking at this pair of boards:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Ethernet and and SD card slot might seem overkill too.  But I want to
track performance, read out the phase difference over time and so one.
 So I want to be able to connect a desktop computer and a USB cable is
to short.  Ethernet will let me check from work or with my phone.
the SD card can be used to log data.   Likely hold a two years of data
on a 8GB card.

I want to try and apply the saw tooth correction from the GPS.  For
that I will need a uP that cad read data from the Thunderbolt's or the
Oncore's serial port.

One important thing.  It would be good if the software where easy to
modify be most "normal" people.  My hope is that if it is easy enough
then several people will and they will share their work.   The Arduino
is very east to program.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM, cfo <xnews2 at luna.kyed.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 07:32:15 -0500, EWKehren-YDxpq3io04c wrote:
>> I hope this answers a lot of questions. What is needed is that some one
>> steps up to the plate and does the controller. To me the appeal is the
>> $15 solution.
>> Bert Kehren
>
> This might be a serious overkill ....
> But it has built in jtag - AD & DAC can run 168Mhz ,
> has 32bit timers (TIC) and serious horsepower
> http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp
>
> $20
> http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/2484058-eval-kit-stm32f-discovery-stm32f4discovery.html
>
> CFO (Time nut beginner)