[time-nuts] FW: EF-5680A Breakout board
cadbloke at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:06:06 EST 2012
like many on the list I picked up one of the current batch of cheap EF-5608A's.
Not being clear where it would end up, I laid out a breakout board to make it easy to play with on the bench, but with the expectation that it would remain attached when I get around to mounting the Rb in a box (or where ever).
In summary, I've used two VRegs:
- LM1084Adj for 15V (pin compatible with LM317, but rated for 5A) and an AMS1117-5 for the 5V.
- The regs can be fed individually or jumpered to run the 1117 from 15V. This works, but both regs run fairly hot.
- 1PPS and LD are brought out to individual headers.
- 10MHz has an SMA.
- RS232 is given its own D9 wired for 2, 3, & 5 (TX, RX, Gnd) for a standard cable.
In the process of laying out the board, I discovered another "undocumented feature" of this batch of '5680A. For reasons unknown, the D9 is 3.5mm (1/8") higher than shown on the data sheet. Normally this would not matter, but I'd positioned the connector on the PCB maintaining the low profile. Not a big deal, but irritating all the same.
Having read several tales of woe resulting in blown components. I thought I'd offer my spare boards in the hope of keeping the smoke where it belongs.
I've got 9 remaining PCBs and the last of the components should arrive in a week or so.
The cost for a complete kit is aud$10 and $5 for DX postage. I have no idea what level of interest (if any) there will be, but I can always order more boards if there is a demand.
One thing to note is that this board is designed for the current batch of FE-5680A with the following pinout:
1. +15V (~1800mA cold: ~800mA hot)
3. Rb Lock (lock = low)
4. +5V (~85mA)
6. 1PPS (high until Rb Lock goes low)
Please contact me off list if you are interested.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 94857 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the time-nuts