[time-nuts] 15 Seconds error...??

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 19 08:15:23 UTC 2012

mikes at flatsurface.com said:
> You tell me, is that UTC, or UTC(USNO) or UTC(NIST), or something
> completely different?

My two cents:

They are very close.  It's probably off scale for anybody but a geek to
measure the difference.

Legally, if it matters, you should specify.

I can get UTC(USNO) to sub microsecond level from GPS, but I have GPSDOs.
Most low cost GPS units are USB without PPS.  Good USB units get close to the
ms range, but they are a tiny fraction of the market.  Even with a PPS, you
have to make sure it is getting a good signal.

What sort of accuracy can I get from WWVB or WWV?  I'd guess several or 10s
of ms.  I'm in California.  I'd expect better if I was closer, probably sub
ms.