[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 -> SWCC clock

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sun Jan 22 20:49:11 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/22 13:58, Jim Hickstein wrote:
> On 1/22/12 1:56 PM, paul swed wrote:
>> Yahoo for real voltage power and current. Teletype style.
>> Yes indeed the old loop currents seriously worked.
>> No AA batteries here. ;-)

How far will I get with my 3 D cells?  They make it wind nicely, but I've been
afraid to try 6V, having read somewhere (probably Brooke's pages) not to exceed
3V lest one damage something.  Then again, that's the local battery, not the
setting signal.  (No. 6 dry cell?  Dear me, I hadn't even thought of one of
those for 40 years.)

>> When will we see a pix of this unit??
>
> It's my day off. :-)

Then again, what's a day off for, if not this kind of thing?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jxh1/tags/clock/

Brooke Clarke's pix are nice, but I think I have the nicest SWCC clock out
there, one of the nicest I've seen.  Coincidentally, I bought it in about 1986
from a fellow named Clark (last name I don't recall), who was a member of the
Minnesota horological society, or whatever it's called.  A friend of mine,
another member, put me on to this, and I jumped at it.  (Actually, he has an
even nicer one, a big Air Force unit IIRC that's about 6 feet tall, and with a
mercury pendulum bob.)  Took the thing back home to California, and it came with
me when I moved back to Minnesota in 2003.  It's been the primary time display
in my house since I got it.  I also still keep the Textronix carton I scrounged,
that's a perfect fit, for moving it.

-Jim
K6JXH/0