[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 -> SWCC clock

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sun Jan 22 23:17:02 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/22 17:03, Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Jim:
>
> On web page:
> http://www.prc68.com/I/SWCC2.shtml#SC
>
> I have data from Henry W. that says 120 V (my memory was wrong on the 200 V) and
> he says 250 ma.
> This will give about 66 times faster response time than using 3 Volts.

Oh, I was reading the dual-coil section.

> I'm spending time on this because with low loop voltage the action is so
> sluggish that it will barely work or for a clock that's not brand new and
> properly oiled may not work at all.

Got it, thanks.  Since I have 4.5V easily obtainable, and a freshly cleaned and
oiled clock, I may give that a shot first, with or without the 200 ohms.  Then
I'll know better what you're talking about.

I don't mind if it's a little sluggish.  I just want to keep the thing from
drifting a minute a week, which is about where I have the pendulum adjusted now.
  The local temperature variations introduce significant error.  The pendulum
rod seems to be of wood, without much in the way of temperature compensation.
But of course, with the setting signal, it didn't need to free-run with high
accuracy.