[time-nuts] Looking for Harris/Qbit amplifers

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Jan 24 18:59:56 UTC 2012

Yes, those are handy amplifier modules - I always save any that I
find in surplus RF gear. You can easily replicate the functions with
modern gain blocks, or your own circuit using discrete parts, if you
don't need the "drop-in" hermetic package style.

The ones with about 10 dB gain are single stage shunt feedback
amplifiers. Besides simplicity, the big advantage of store-bought
ones is that they are exactly specified, while home-made ones are
not, so it depends on the application.

The larger TO-8 cans usually have built-in coupling caps, while the
TO-5 types often do not. Quite a few manufacturers got into the VHF
amplifier module business through the 70s and 80s, but I don't know
who is still left making those old hermetic can styles. There are
lots of makers and models of newer types in plastic packages

Here are some that used to make hermetic styles - they all had more
or less equivalent models available:

Amplifonix
Anzac
Avantek
Motorola (TO-5 MWA series only)
NEC
Qbit (merged w/ Amplifonix?)
Teledyne
Watkins-Johnson

I would look at Minicircuit Labs for modern amplifier blocks, maybe
including hermetic - but those will be spendy brand new, regardless
of the source.

Ed