[time-nuts] establishing your position w/o gps

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:29:06 UTC 2012

On 26/01/2012, at 2:49 AM, J. Forster wrote:

>> Finding your location without GPS is not all that difficult.
>> You need a quality theodolite, but even an ordinary one will read to
>> 1 second of arc.
>
> Ordinary? You mean something like a Wild T-2 or Kern DKM-2. Even then
> getting close to 1 arc-second requires a lot of care.

A wild T1 reads directly to 6 seconds, but with repetition will get 1
second.
Unlike digital instruments you need a little bit of skill and
persistence to get the best measurement from an analogue instrument.

>> You observe circumpolar stars at night to obtain a true azimuth.
>> (North and South)
>> and also the latitude by the inclination of the pole.
>
> Not quite so straight forward. You have to have accurate siderial
> time and
> an almanac. Polaris is only near the pole, not at it.

No need for time, you follow the azimuth of the star until it turns
around and then again until it turns back. Half the difference gives you
the azimuth of the pole very accurately. Fit your observations to a
parabola to get a good result.
Works best in Winter when the sun is down for more than 12 hours. A
good technique as refraction errors cancel.

>> On a time photograph these stars draw circles around the pole, the
>> centre of the circle
>> is the celestial pole and its elevation above the horizon gives the
>> latitude.
>> You can also use an almanac and a calendar to determine your latitude
>> by observing stars
>> with the theodolite.
>
> Not so easy. At the celestial equator the stars are moving in Hour
> Angle
> at 15 arc-seconds per second.

As I said, analogue measurements need some skill and perseverance.
If you added more modern technology you could track your theodolite/
telescope with a clock so you would get a longer period to adjust/
observe
the observations and set your clock.

Neville