[time-nuts] telling time without a clock

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:55:53 UTC 2012

As a reasonably experienced occultation observer (and the very reason I got
into being a time-nut - so I could time these observations), the main
problem is that the number of binocular-observable occultations is actually
quite rare. When the star appears or disappears behind the bright limb it
is actually hard to see - even if the star is very bright. When the moon is
nearly full, even disappearances behind the dark limb are hard.

So ideally you want bright star disappearences on a dark limb with a moon
before first quarter. (Last quarter as well - but then it's a reappearance
and you don't quite know where to look).

This limits the number of bright stars quite drastically. And then you have
clouds...

Jim