[time-nuts] telling time without a clock

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:52:39 UTC 2012

Download Occult4 by Dave Herald. You can list off all Lunar Occultations
for your location and choose a minimum magnitude to show. Start at 3.0, but
probably 2.0 or above is a binocular viewing - depending on your skies.

Note that Occult4 is an extensive piece of astronomical software for the
experienced amateur. It can do a *lot*. So be prepared to be patient with
it - however once mastered it is very very useful for accurate timing of
astronomical events.

The hardest and yet most satisfying for astronomical time nuts are
asteroidal occultations. This is where a faint asteroid passes in front of
a star and blocks it out for a few seconds. Hard to accurately predict and
hard to observe. It took me 40 attempts over 30 years to see my first.

But when a bunch of amateur astronomers observe and accurately time the
same event you can build up a profile of the shape of the asteroid.

It is a fun but dark path to go down...

Jim