[time-nuts] telling time without a clock

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 04:42:00 UTC 2012

"simbad" is a catalog of catalogs with a built in web based search
engine.  It is pretty much what "everyone" uses to search.  You can
define a shape and ask for all objects that meet some criteria that
are within that shape.  Other software can plot the result for you as
a chart   If it is not in Simbad you have likely discovered something
new.

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
> It's old, but how about the SAO Atlas & catalog. It goes to something like
> 7th Mag, so there are lots to pick from.
>
> -John
>
> ==========
>

>> On 1/26/12 2:55 PM, Jim Palfreyman wrote:
>>> As a reasonably experienced occultation observer (and the very reason I
>>> got
>>> into being a time-nut - so I could time these observations), the main
>>> problem is that the number of binocular-observable occultations is
>>> actually
>>> quite rare. When the star appears or disappears behind the bright limb
>>> it
>>> is actually hard to see - even if the star is very bright. When the moon
>>> is
>>> nearly full, even disappearances behind the dark limb are hard.
>>
>> Yes, that's what I observed when I was trying it a while ago..
>>

>>> So ideally you want bright star disappearences on a dark limb with a
>>> moon
>>> before first quarter. (Last quarter as well - but then it's a
>>> reappearance
>>> and you don't quite know where to look).
>>
>> that would sort of limit you to 1 week out of 4. But better than
>> nothing, for a technique that requires no outside assistance.
>>

>>> This limits the number of bright stars quite drastically. And then you
>>> have
>>> clouds...
>>>

>> Yeah, that is something I don't have a feel for.. How many stars are
>> candidates? I assume you could get a moon RA/declination list, and then
>> run that against the star list.
>>
>>   This is one of those things that  I was hoping there's probably
>> someone who has a program that can do the search trivially.
>>
>> I have a moon ephemeris, but I haven't found a convenient star catalog
>> (something in ASCII that has ID, RA, Dec, Mag would be nice)

>> and follow the instructions there.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California