[time-nuts] FE-5680A FAQ update: question about frequency synthesizer architecture

claudio.girardi at virgilio.it claudio.girardi at virgilio.it
Fri Jan 27 23:17:58 UTC 2012

Hello John,
thanks for maintaining the 5680A FAQ;
regarding its
frequency resolution, have you checked the DDS FSELECT pin (and maybe
also PSEL0/1) to see if they are doing some kind of "dithering" of the
DDS frequency ?

C.

com
frequency measurement"<time-nuts at febo.com>
>Subj: Re: [time-nuts]	FE-
5680A FAQ update: question about frequency synthesizer architecture

>I appreciate those notes; the data sheet for the DDS part also
explains it. It has a 12-bit LUT driving an internal 10-bit DAC (the
5.3 MHz sine is still a bit coarse, with < 4 samples per cycle, but in
the 5680 it is cleaned up by an external filter).

>"Because phase
information maps directly into amplitude, a ROM LUT converts the phase
information into amplitude. To do this, the digital phase information
is used to address a sine ROM LUT. Although the NCO contains a 32-bit
phase accumulator, the output of the NCO is truncated to 12 bits. Using
the full resolution of the phase accumulator is impractical and
unnecessary because this would require a look-up table of 2^32
entries."
>...from http://www.analog.com/static/imported-
files/data_sheets/AD9832.pdf

>However, my question was actually about
how the remainder of the circuitry in the FE-5680A combines the 5.3 MHz
from the DDS (at 4 mHz tuning step size), and the 60 MHz VCXO, to
reference against the 6.835 GHz Rb frequency and ultimately achieve
0.18 uHz (micro-Hz) tuning step size at the final 10 MHz output.  I
don't think a simple multiplier-mixer-divider chain (for example) could
give you such a small tuning step size at the output, the frequency
ratios don't work out.  I've heard of fractional-N PLL synthesizers but
I'm not sure if that's the principle here.

Message-------
>>  From: Graham / KE9H <timenut at austin.rr.com>

The AD9832 is an Analog Devices DDS which has a 32 bit tuning word.
>>  The way a DDS generates the output, is that it (effectively) has a
cosine
>>  wave look-up table, with 2^32 entries that comprise a single
cosine wave
>>  cycle.
>>
>>  The tuning word tells it how many
entries the DDS should advance every
>>  reference input clock cycle,
then it pushes that amplitude value in the
>>  look-up table
>>  to the
output D->A converter.

>>  So, if the input reference is 20 MHz,
then the DDS can generate frequencies
>>  with a resolution step of
>>
>>        Vref/2^32  =  20,000,000 / 4,294,967,296  =  0.0046566
Hz.

>>  The DDS output frequency is    (tuning word /2^32) times
Vref.

>>  In the actual implementation, rather than a 4 billion
entry look-up table,
>>  I am sure they have some algorithm that
calculates the amplitude of
>>  a cosine wave, or a much smaller table