[time-nuts] FE-5680A FAQ update: question about frequency synthesizer architecture

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Jan 28 20:54:22 UTC 2012

Another though... The FE5680A manual says that the most basic unit
outputs 50.255+ MHz (1/136 the Rb oscillation frequency). I suppose that
this is the "other" style of units, that uses a 50.255MHz crystal to
excite the cavity. 50.255MHz/2^48 is 1.785416^-7Hz, the claimed
resolution for these FE-5680A.

I'm starting to suspect that the claimed resolution of 1.7854^-7Hz is
only for a serial protocol compatibility reason, and that really the
effective tuning step for these Rbs is in fact around 6.81^-6Hz.

Regards,

Javier, EA1CRB