[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 29 14:12:54 UTC 2012

On 01/29/2012 02:45 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Very interesting.
>
> It sounds like dithering would be needed to get down to parts in 10^-14. If we do that from an external device (PC / PIC / FPGA / whatever) it would be useful to know the delay between the serial command and the DDS update. The more variable the delay, the less accurate the dither.

Considering that you only need about 3 bits or so, and considering that
the internal step mechanism run with so low rate, achieving this should
not be all that hard really. It's not like there is a flashy GUI for the
PIC to keep up with. A little 8 pin PIC should pull it off with not too
high effort.

Cheers
Magns