[time-nuts] Racal-Dana 1991 w. Option 4C - what is that ?

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Jan 30 20:08:31 UTC 2012

The Racal 9462 ocxo uses a temperature-controlled 5 MHz crystal
oscillator inside a sealed can. On the outside end of the can is a small
circuit board that doubles the output frequency to 10 MHz. The ocxo
cable comes from this circuit board so the output to the counter is 10
MHz. The Racal 9462 operates on 5 vdc and the cable has only three
wires, two of which are provided by a shielded cable for the 10 MHz signal.

Depending on the age of the ocxo, this doubler circuit board can be
either PTH design or (on later units) SMT design.

My understanding is that a 5 MHz crystal is inherently more stable than
a 10 MHz crystal so better overall performance is achieved by using a 5
MHz crystal and doubling the output to get 10 MHz.

I have pictures of these OCXO if you are interested.

The Racal Option 04C is a really, really simple 10 MHz oscillator whose
performance is terrible! It is not described in any Racal publication I
have found and I think it was offered to customers who bought many
counters for use in applications where an external precision 10 MHz
source was to be used; the Option 04C allows the counter to operate
poorly until connected to an external precision 10 MHz source. Option
04E provides the Racal 9462 and there are other ocxo versions, such as
Option 04A, that offer better performance than 04C but not so good as
Option 04E.

Larry