[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-ETH - Linux examples ?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 30 22:31:39 UTC 2012

> I was thinking ... There must be someone out there using a Prologix GPIB-
> ETH with linux , that might want to share some code/lib.
>
> I saw a ref. for some Prologix stuff in the TimeLab source (win32 i
> think) , but i can't seem to find the source.

Sorry, I should've been more specific -- when you run the (Windows) setup
from http://www.miles.io/timelab/readme.htm it will give you a near-complete
copy of my development directory at the time that version was built.

By default, most of the program's .cpp/.h source code ends up in c:\program
files\miles design\timelab alongside the 32-bit and 64-bit executables, and
in various directories underneath it.  This includes all of the data
importers and TIC/frequency counter drivers, as well as the TSC
5115/5120/5125 drivers... basically everything is there but the TimePod
driver source.

For GPIB-LAN example code, you could look at the TCPBLOCK class in
drivers\shared\comblock.cpp, as well as the module that abstracts the
various GPIB providers (gpibport.cpp).  .

As Orin says the differences between Winsock and *nix/BSD sockets are not
large, at least for trivial applications like this one.  Higher-performance
code will tend to use more OS-specific calls to set up overlapped I/O
operations and such, but there's no need for that here.  TCPBLOCK is a
rather low-performance chunk of code, being structured to read one byte at a
time.  It's fine for GPIB work but you wouldn't want to write a browser with
it.

-- john