[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Jan 31 21:05:55 UTC 2012

If you are willing to use external counters:

Dallas DS2423 Dual 32-bit Counter
Or, if you have an unlimited budget:
http://www.cwcelectronicsystems.com/dual32ct_modulario.html
the word "defense" is prominent here :-).
Or counter products from: http://www.lsicsi.com/
I use encoder interfaces from the last company and recommend them!
Don

Attila Kinali
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:06:04 +0100
> Javier Herrero <jherrero at hvsistemas.es> wrote:
>
>> El 31/01/2012 20:43, Attila Kinali escribió:
>> > My current progress is that the uC i wanted to use does not do what
>> > want. Can anyone recommend a uC with 32bit timers and IEEE 1588
>> support?
>> You can have a look on these
>> http://www.ti.com/mcu/docs/mculuminaryfamilynode.tsp?sectionId=95&tabId=2597&familyId=1756
>> Some of them have IEEE-1588, like the LM3S9B96
>
> This was exactly the device i intended to use.
> But it doesnt really have 32bit timers. They cascade two 16bit timers
> to get 32bit, but then all kind of restrictions apply which make the
> timers unusable. And when using 16bit timers, i'll get an overflow
> every 800us (at 80MHz clock).
>
> I browsed trough the internets and could find the following devices:
>
> LPC18xx (NXP):
> Look nice, but still in development or early production.
> I especially like that they (will be) are available in a 200 pin QFP.
> This would enable to use all the functions of the chip while still
> being able to solder one by hand.
>
> K60 (Freescale): Hell of a confusing documentation. Also quite new.
> Have only 16bit timers. A big issue is that they have a crypto unit
> on chip, which makes them export restricted. Ie the only way to buy
> them is from a local distributor which makes them expensive.
>
> STM32-F2/F4 (ST): ST doesn't want to give me the documentation to those.
> (website fails w/o error message)
>

> I havent found any other chips yet. Sofar the options i see are:
> * wait for the LPC18xx become available in quanities (can take a year)
> * Use a LM3S9B96 together with a small FPGA to implement the counter
> functions.
>
> Any hints appreciated
>
> 			Attila Kinali
>
> --
> Why does it take years to find the answers to
> the questions one should have asked long ago?

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road