[time-nuts] Leap second going...

EB4APL eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es
Sun Jul 1 00:55:04 UTC 2012

I also saw (and captured a video sequence) of the leap second in
NTGS50AA via LH, what a difference from my first encounter with the leap
second!.
I was working in the frequency timing subsystem of a  Deep Space
Tracking Facility when NASA decided to introduce the leap seconds, I
don't remember it exactly but maybe we were using GMT  because until
then, we used to offset our Cs and Rb frequency at the beginning of each
year (did you notice the thumbwheels inside these standards?). Our first
leap second was in Dec 31 and being this night so special the operations
crews were given permission to leave since no any tracking activity were
planned.   I was in a party and received a call to go to the station to
manually introduce the leap second on the system.  Our frequency and
timing subsystem predated the leap seconds several years so I had to set
our redundant clock 1 second late and make a changeover between second
00 and 01 so the second 00 was 2 seconds long.  Good old times ...

Best regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL