[time-nuts] HP-5065a advise and purchase decision

Edgardo Molina xe1xus at amsat.org
Sun Jul 1 15:39:55 UTC 2012

Dear Chris,

One of my needs: A dependable Rb source. HP appeals to me as most of
my electronics lab equipment comes from that house. I have seen
numerous other Rb sources here and there but would like to afford an
HP unit. I know I can go to the party driving either a 60's VW beattle
or driving a 60's Ford Mustang. Both of them can get me there. Still
personally, I rather drive the V8 beast. The robustness, mechanics,
physics package characteristics and form factor, homogeneous with my
HP quartz frequency standards and frequency counters is what catches
my eye when looking at that model. Let's say 50% looks and desire and
50% for what it is. It will be used in my time and frequency lab.
Hobby use, a learning tool, an object of desire...

As a time and frequency hobbyist, I feel it is valid to assume my
investments as big boy toys. The marvel of accessing a childhood dream
of having a frequency and time lab at home, an educational and
research niche activity and the possibility to work with this
instrument, while cruising the long and torturous path of physics and
engineering understanding.

You have a nice day!

Cheers!

Edgardo Molina