[time-nuts] Leap second? Yay or nay?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jul 2 05:59:30 UTC 2012

In message <20120702025355.GA22513 at puck.nether.net>, "Majdi S. Abbas" writes:
>On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 10:24:33AM +1000, Jim Palfreyman wrote:

>	Understand that yesterday's situation was specific to one
>operating system, which accepted a patch to its kernel a few years ago
>that was never really tested.

[...]

>	I don't want to see anyone hurt, but pandering to bad software
>just gets you more bad software.  At some point quality has to matter.

Testing software for correct handling of leap-seconds is a major undertaking
which very few people have the kit and skill to do.

You can get better quality either by paying a lot more money for
software or by removing or reducing the impact of this "gottcha"
feature from the programs environment.