[time-nuts] Leap second? Yay or nay?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 2 13:28:43 UTC 2012

On 7/2/12 6:19 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4FF19D3C.4050602 at earthlink.net>, Jim Lux writes:
>
>> which is an interesting thing.. if instead of DST (for which I think
>> there's little practical reason to have in the first place).. say you
>> just shifted the clock one minute earlier or later each day, gradually
>> moving it to the new alignment relative to solar day.
>
> Why bother ?
>
> Just make everybody use TAI and make T-O-D alignment a cultural
> thing rather than a numerological superstition ?

I agree with you, P-H...

but if we ARE going to establish artificial connections between wall
clock time (work hours, store opening times, bar closing times, etc.)
and the sun, why not do it gradually.  People are used to accommodating
small deltas in time (e.g. my wife, who sets the dash clock in her car
10-15 minutes fast) and periodically readjusting to personal preference.