[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a

paul paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:00:39 UTC 2012

Not sure why the email did not send

As John has mentioned all of the old receivers are dead! They will not
lock to the new BPSK signal.
Though John and I have been working to see what can be done I have to
say to date lots of methods have been tried and none really all that
successful. These methods include phase lock, squaring/doubling and
dividing. The normal types of things used to de-bpsk a signal. Or as I
call the system the "d-psk-r". I can see how these methods in general
work. But the noise hits on the east coast are pretty troubling in
causing phase flips. Essentially you need a way to force the the system
into one side of the phase always at 120 Khz.

So here is the approach I would take. The RF stage you are speaking
about has 3 nuvistors and those would easily be replaced by 2 op amps
with about 10 db of gain to spare. Simply build 60 KC tuned tanks
between stages and you would be in business. I have no idea but the
existing L+Cs might be useful here. Then when done you would have a
fantastic wwvb signal strength meter and thats all.
Its funny on the nuvistors I thought they would be an issue also. But I
have been getting them for 2-3 dollars each and they do not really die
all that often.

Regards
Paul