[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Thu Jul 5 15:19:47 UTC 2012

Many years ago I had one of these antennas that I used with a Gertsch
RLF-1 WWVB receiver.  When the Nuvistors became old and feeble I
decided to change the 6CW4 Nuvistors to FETs.  Being young and
foolish and thinking this is basically audio, I went to Radio Shack
and got some N-Channel FETs and stuffed the FET's leads into the
appropriate Nuvistor socket pins: Gate to Grid, Source to Cathode,
and Drain to Plate.  As I recall, I had to add a wee bit of
capacitance to make it tune back down to 60 KC - back then I didn't
know from kHz.  I made a voltage divider inside the antenna's
junction box to get the higher voltage down to what the FETs
wanted.  It ran fine for the remaining 8 to10 years that I used the
RLF-1's.  I forget where the antenna went, but it may still be in use
somewhere.  At least I hope so.

Burt, K6OQK

>From: Merchison Burke <merchison at yahoo.co.uk>
>To: time-nuts at febo.com
>Subject: [time-nuts] HP 117/10509a
>
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone successfully replaces the Nuvistors in the 117 and the 10509a
>with FETs. I would like to replace them with inexpensive FETs instead of
>buying the expensive Nunistors.
>
>Thanks for all help,
>Merchison

Burt I. Weiner Associates