[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a...

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Fri Jul 6 04:20:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:13:32PM -0400, Merchison Burke wrote:
> Glad to know that it is not finalised as yet. When I read about this
> wrinkle, I was about to put my units up for sale.

	Put them up for sale.  If you can find a buyer.

	I asked Mr. Lowe this week and was told there'd be no residual
carrier or workaround for existing phase locking receivers, even time
of day receivers.

	Debating what to do with mine, really, keep them as nice pieces
of hardware (albeit in my own personal museum) -- they can go next to
the LORAN and GOES receivers.  The pile is getting pretty big these
days.  Anyone have an OMEGA receiver they want to part with?

	Sorry, but if you want something besides GPS, you're on your
own.  The US government has made its priorities clear -- if it's not
GPS, it's an 'obsolete waste.'

	Somehow, we lose out vs "12 million" WWVB clocks, despite the
fact that not 3 years ago they were willing to obsolete all those
clocks with an added 40 or 75 kHz station.  At least, as long as
'stimulus' funds were being waved around.

	Along the lines of developing a receiver:

	Since they haven't settled on the format, there's no additional
documentation available [that was the second part of my question..]

	I'm torn on the subject anyway...part of me wants the challenge,
and part of me thinks that if the format can be changed without a public
comment period or a phase out timeframe, that it may not be worth the
risk of developing one.

	As it stands I guess I'm back to WWV/WWVH as a backup.
But I can have all the self setting wall-clocks I want -- provided I
don't mind flipping them between PST and MST, since few allow you to
disable DST.  :)

	--msa