[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a...

paul paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:27:27 UTC 2012

Lets see if this comes through. Not sure gmail is sending.
As John has mentioned we have been working on this and I have concluded
that something needs to keep the local oscillator in 1/2 of the cycle.
Hate going back to some vco approach. But that seems to be the case.
Tried forcing the miller divider into a given 1/2 cycle and because of
its nature really could not. Sometimes it just can't be simple it seems.
But I have not at all given up.
Several comments. It is a 1hz modulation. The modulation formats quite
complex. So setting a clock with it though useful and the future will
take some work. The amplitude modulation is still there and as proven
still locks the cheapy $12.95 clocks just fine. Itd oes not at all work
with spectracoms

XXX I am looking for a couple of spectracoms of the 8163 class for
experimenting (Self inflicted torture). But I am looking for the ole
flea market price. XXXX
If we can get a fix going I want to confirm the fix works with them also.

I have spent a lot of time doing much. But an approach that intrigues me
and I have done nothing with is to remember the old phase compare the
new phase per cycle and flip the phase back to the old if it changes.
This can be a feed forward behavior. Not a PLL style solution.
Granted it might take 2or 3 cycles of 60 Khz to get it figured out, but
the old receivers most likely would smooth that out.

Most likely will do this with a micro or some logic which would be fast.
Kind of a missing edge or what direction is the carrier moving in
detection approach.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL