[time-nuts] Antenna question about RHCP/LHCP I'm sure a time-nut can answer

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 7 16:52:55 UTC 2012

On 7/7/12 9:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I can confirm that I'm 100% sure that the polarization of the two
> antennas needs to be the same - i.e. both RHCP or both LHCP. I built two
> of them for RHCP, and got appreciate gain.
>
> Despite what other may say, there does seem to be a lot of confusion
> about this issue, but I've satisfied myself by building them and testing
> the gain using a VNA as the signal source and detector.

Nothing like an actual test to clarify things, eh?

wind one for LHCP and you can play with the reversal after a reflection..

In the latest Ant and Prop Magazine there's an article about a antenna
lab with demos from Cal Poly SLO.  Very cool.. all at 900 MHz, so things
are small, but not so small that skin depth and precision measurements
come into place.

Lots of different kinds of antennas, and they built a nice little LED
bargraph signal strength display.

Reminiscent of a video taped lecture from Kraus that I saw.