[time-nuts] Thunderbolt mounting

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 13:22:44 UTC 2012

On 7/11/12 7:00 PM, Mike S wrote:
> On 7/11/2012 8:15 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there's a means to log max and min temps for these
>> things? I was going to make a crude box for mine out of 2 inch cavity
>> wall
>> insulation hard foam,
>
> The TB reports it's own temperature. Lady Heather will track it.
>
> I'm surprised no one has mounted one to a Peltier cooler, and stabilized
> the temp with PID control, based on the self-reported temp. Why not run
> it cooler than ambient? I'd assume a simple microcontroller could handle
> the task, but don't have any deep PID control knowledge myself.

PID controller code for Arduinos and the like is readily available..

However, as to why not run it cooler?

The internal oven tries to keep the crystal at the temperature where the
frequency vs temp curve has the lowest slope.  If you cool the outside,
then you just burn more power in the internal oven.