[time-nuts] Thunderbolt mounting

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 01:56:35 UTC 2012

Sorry guys, but using a fan on a thunderbolt is nuts. Not time nuts.

First you get ADEV humps as discussed here. Then the fan vibrations will show up as massive spurs in the phase noise plots. Then the fan's commutator emi will go everywhere. Then the fan may modulate the supply voltage going into the thunderbolt if the same supply is used -not good.

Get a better docxo and replace the thunderbolt oven, done. If you need the best thermal stability. Shield it from airflow as best as possible. That should do it.

Bye,
Said

Sent from my iPad