[time-nuts] Thunderbolt mounting

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 06:42:06 UTC 2012

Not small when you are trying to achieve a -160dBc noise floor. Then even a small fan can show up as a massive -120dbc or higher spur easily and ruin your day due to the microphonics of the crystal. Some time ago there was a discussion here about how entering a room measurably changed an ocxo frequency due to the steps causing vibration..

So we stabilize the temp but ruin our phase noise. Doesn't make sense to me.

We deal with big fans all the time, viz. Turboprop engines running at up to 2000rpm. Generates nasty massive spurs below 100hz.

Putting an ocxo in front of a fan is one of the worst things one can do, even if it is hiding in an enclosure such as a thunderbolt. It probably raises your ADEV very easily measurable at the fan turn on/off frequency as well.

Btw, the math of what -160dBc means in terms of power below carrier is very impressive. getting close to the thermal noise of a 50 ohm resistor.

Bye,
Said

Sent from my iPad