[time-nuts] WWVB and Free Democracies Survival

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 16 00:24:51 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 12:21 AM, Mark Spencer wrote:
> Good point about WAAS.   I wonder if newer timing receivers that support WAAS would continue to function in a stationary mode if they could only receive valid signals from WAAS ?   I also wonder if the WAAS ground segment would continue to function without GPS ?   That being said the transmitters are already in orbit.

Considering that WAAS, EGNOS and friends has signal on L1 at approximate
the same energy as GPS, when you loose GPS you run high risk at loosing
WAAS and friends too, in the same blow.

You should be able to continue receive WAAS signal, even if the GPS
fails for them.

The benefit of WAAS and EGNOS is that they have a fixed location in the
sky. so you could use a highly directional antenna, like a parabolic
antenna, which would provide suppression of most jamming signal unless
they are overhead.

Another benefit of using WAAS is that you could do the C/A correlation
in analogue hardware, which would allow for CW jammers to be suppressed
without the gain control being fetched.

Cheers,
Magnus