[time-nuts] WWVB and Free Democracies Survival

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 04:20:47 UTC 2012

On 7/15/12 6:25 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Magnus Danielson
> <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> The benefit of WAAS and EGNOS is that they have a fixed location in the sky.
>> so you could use a highly directional antenna, like a parabolic antenna,
>> which would provide suppression of most jamming signal unless they are
>> overhead.
>
> I've seen a military GPS antenna that was a large phased array.  I
> guess the idea was to use the almanac to track the moving GPS sats.
> The goal was to reject jammers by using a dozen or so synthesized
> pencil beams. (like a radar in a fighter jet)  You could not put this
> in a hand held device as it was as BIG.    That is the main problem
> with directional antenna they need to be large with respect to the
> wavelength.   I don't know if this ever was used in a real deployed
> system.

Doesn't need to be all that big... lambda at 1.5 GHz is 20cm.. an array
that's, say, 50x50 cm would have significant interference rejection
capability (i.e. you don't have to synthesize a pencil beam, you just
need to put a null on the interference.. and you can null N-1 sources
when you have N elements, so a 9 element (3x3) array would do nicely..
(and give you your attitude as a side effect)

> I think this antenna type was also the design proposed for a
> distributed low orbit comms system too.  The current geo-sync
> comm-sats make for simple antenna but all of the proposed tactical
> "launch on an hour notice" comm-sats would be in LEO (low earth orbit)
> and launched with something like Pegasus or a  re-purposed ICBM.
> The problem is that having a few dozen low power sats in LEO seriously
> complicates the portable ground stations, hence experiments with
> flat-plate phased array.

Not really.. it depends on the frequency and the number of sources you
need to track.