[time-nuts] Zero-Crossing Detector Design?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 19 19:47:26 UTC 2012

The problem of optimal zero crossing detector design was essentially
solved by Oliver Collins in the 1990's.
Essentially a series of cascaded limiter stages with appropriate gain
and bandwidth distribution are used.
With a 10MHz 1V rms signal only 2-3 stages suffices.
However unless you need fs jitter less complex zero crossing detectors
should suffice.

1) a comparator (or line receiver) based design should achieve sub 10ps
jitter.

2) AC coupling to the input of a CMOS (AC04, AHC04 LVC04) should achieve
a jitter of 1ps or less

3) A simple differential pair with AC coupled emitters (reduces
asymmetry due to component tolerances ) is capable of sub ps jitter.

There is a spreadsheet to assist design of Collins style zero crossing
detectors at:

http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/ZeroCrossingDetectors.html
<http://www.ko4bb.com/%7Ebruce/ZeroCrossingDetectors.html>

Bruce