[time-nuts] Zero-Crossing Detector Design?

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:10:11 UTC 2012

    The reason I suggested using a schmidt trigger gate is that a schmidt
trigger gate switches states at different points at its input. That is, the
input positive going switch point is higher than the negative going switch
point, maybe half a volt or so. So, driving this gate with a volt RMS or so
(3 volts P to P) from the XL-DC should give pretty noiseless, chatter free
results. Used to use them all the time to generate 60 Hz square waves from
the power mains. Probably work OK at 10 mHz.

Al

> Chris,
>    The simplest zero crossing detector would be to feed your 1 volt, 10
> mHz
> from the XL-DC into the input of an IC with schmidt trigger inputs. You
<snip>