[time-nuts] Heather Problem..

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jul 23 22:50:36 UTC 2012

Actually that's not the case; the quotes are required anytime a pathname
with spaces is used.  Otherwise there would be no easy way for the OS to
tell where the filename stops and any command-line parameters begin.  If it
weren't for the space in the "Program Files" subdirectory name, the quotes
wouldn't be needed at all.

So in the case of Heather, yes, you do need the quotes for Windows' benefit,
and you also need a space after the closing quote for Heather's benefit.

(Pro tip: If you know that your Program Files directory has the short name
progra~1, you could change the shortcut to use
c:\progra~1\heather\heather.exe and dispense with the quotes.  This hack is
less straightforward now that 64-bit versions of Windows use "Program Files
(x86)" for legacy 32-bit software like LH.  On my system, Heather ends up in
c:\progra~2\heather\heather.exe.)

-- john, KE5FX