[time-nuts] 5MHz ocxo- Opening Solder sealed cans

Paul Flinders paul at flinders.org
Thu Jul 26 18:20:53 UTC 2012

On 26/07/12 17:49, Tom Miller wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Did you look at his pictures of the oscillator? I think the base will
> need to be secured and the top pulled off. This is different from most
> of the OCXOs I have seen.
I'm somewhat tempted to try putting the bottom in the vice, heating the
whole seam with a hot air gun and trying to pull the case off (with a
heavy leather glove on one hand).

We're having what we laughably call summer in the UK - it's not hot in
any absolute sense (mid-high 20's Celsius) but the humidity after
several week's rain makes it *feel* as though I just have to get the
case a few degrees above ambient and the solder will melt with ease :-)