[time-nuts] 5MHz ocxo- Opening Solder sealed cans

Paul Flinders paul at flinders.org
Fri Jul 27 07:03:27 UTC 2012

On 27/07/12 03:17, Tom Miller wrote:
> I agree with Ron. Clean the board up real good then do an inspection.
> With a microscope if you can get your hands on one. Look for cracked
> SMT parts. The high heat from the oven could very well stress the
> parts causing a failure. Flux the board up and hit all the connections
> with a small iron. When you melt the solder on each end of a part, if
> one is broken, it will then show up.
Thanks for the tips.

On further reflection I think that the foam probably has disintegrated
over time (mostly). The pattern of what is melted/stuck to components is
wrong for an exogenous heat source. I might have to play around with
solvents as IPA didn't have much effect on the really stuck down stuff.

I agree it's likely to be a dry joint or cracked SM part so the plan of
a thorough clean and visual inspection is a good one - I don't have
access to a microscope but do have a couple of decent hand lenses. I
suspect careful use of the heat gun and freezer spray will help as well.

I'm going to be away for a week so will pick this up again when I get
back. I'll update the list with any progress.